MHG3653 - LBA Sickle - Dores
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Late Bronze Age socketed sickle, found in the parish of Dores, was purchased for the NMAS in 1890, through the minister of Dores, Rev J Fraser. (Acc No: DO 29) (Possibly this sickle is that recorded on NH53SE 12, or NH63SW 5.)
PSAS 1890; J M Coles 1962; Information from NMAS catalogue 1892, illust.
This sickle was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 88.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1890. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 24 1889-1890, p.6-18,141-6,274-81,378-82,410-15,443-50. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 6-18,141-6,274-81,378-82,. 447; fig. 1.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 136.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6000 3400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SICKLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13295 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-437-C (Link to online NMS catalogue database)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-437-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.