MHG36620 - Former school playground and parade ground - Bus station, Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- PARADE GROUND (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUS STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- CHILDRENS PLAYGROUND (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1841 AD? to 1937 AD?)
- None recorded
The former playground of the former Farraline Park School (see MHG14190). Also previously used as a parade ground. Now used as the main Inverness bus station.
A desk-based assessment was undertaken by S Farrell as part of the evaluation of the bus station in Inverness prior to propsed redevelopment. Study of cartographic and historical documentation revealed the site to have formerly been a school playground, which was also used as a parade ground for the Royal Artillery Volunteers Regiment in the 19th century. The site lies outwith the core of the medieval burgh, though nine skeletons were uncovered when the school was built in 1840. <1>
Trial trenching by S Farrell in 1998 revealed that cinder ash that may be releated to the school playgound was located in several trenches beneath modern tarmac and concrete. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6668 4558 (91m by 89m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/180606 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.