MHG36678 - Annular Brooch - Ardvreck Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Brooch discovered by MD user. Photos in SMR - HAW 11/2004
NC 241 236 A post-medieval gold annular brooch bearing the date 1600 and the inscription 'FEIR GOD IN HIART CMA'. Some traces of blue, white and green enamelling remain.
P Weeks and J Donnelly 2000
Submitted to Treasure Trove 1999 (TT 81/99) and allocated to Inverness Museum. It is listed under Acc. No. 2001.013. <1> <2> <3>
Inverness Museum archive files contains a map of the findspot, TT documentation with a description of the findspot, photographs of the brooch and a 1999 specialist's report. This report describes the brooch as usual due to its composition of mostly gold and the traces of enamelling seen on both side of the brooch. Most Scottish ring brooches were of silver or copper alloy and no others with enamelling were known. A 17th Century date was accepted for the brooch, but some doubt was been cast on its authenticity and it may have been more recent. The pin has a pincer loop of the correct style for the date and type. The style of the letting of the inscription was correct and very well engraved. 'Hiart' has been incorrectly spelt but this was not uncommon as skilled craftmen were often illiterate. Two other brooches with the same motto are known but are much later in date. <3>
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 81/99.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 81/99.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2001.013.
- <4> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 2001.013.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2410 2359 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- ANNULAR BROOCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/181901 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.