MHG3668 - Market Cross, Town House, High Street, Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MARKET CROSS (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)
NH64NE 10 6668 4521.
(NH 6668 4521) The original site of the market cross of Inverness cannot be pointed out now; it is supposed to have stood near its present one which is on the Exchange in front of the Towh Hall. The cross is about 10 feet in height and in good preservation.
Name Book 1868.
The Market Cross of Inverness is a square shafted example with splay on corners, supporting a moulded capital. It rests on a large stone base set against the wall of the Towh Hall. This Cross is about to be restored.
J W Small 1900.
The present Town Cross probably dates from 1768. The older one was removed many years ago. It stood in front of the site of the Forbes Fountain now standing in the Exchange.
C Fraser-Mackintosh 1913.
The Market Cross of Inverness now stands close to the north side of the Town Hall. It is a square shaft of ashlar masonry (c. 2m xc. 2m.) with chamfered edges, set in a modern base, upon three steps. It is surmounted by a unicorn and has a total height of c. 5m.
Visited by OS (W D J) 31 March 1960.
"Scottish Country Life" June 1928 p 185 photograph
" June 1929 p 225 same photograph
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Fraser-Mackintosh, C. 1913. Antiquarian Notes, Historical, Genealogical and Social (second series): Inverness-shire parish by parish. 222.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Small, J W. 1900. Scottish market crosses. pl. 37.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 33, 42.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6668 4521 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35261 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG3668 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13310 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.