MHG36682 - MD Finds - Wester Dalziel
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SITE (Undated)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH 745 505 Six medieval or later copper-alloy finds comprising: a gilded mount, decorative bird wing, hinge piece, brooch fragment, top of a swivel junction and a cord pull.
P Weeks 2000
The six finds were submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 82/99) and allocated to Inverness Museum. They are listed under Acc. Nos. 2001.018.001-006. See attached TT summary sheet for photo. <1> <2>
Several other finds from Wester Dalziel area have been submitted to Treasure Trove:
TT 103/98: A medieval or later vesica-shaped seal matrix. Allocated to Inverness museum and listed under Acc. No. 1999.095. See attached TT summary sheet and photo.
TT 101/03: A medieval copper alloy stylus. Allocated in Inverness Museum and listed under Acc. No. 2004.036. See attached TT report.
TT 114/13: A medieval seal matrix. Described as having a handle type body with hexagonal stem and square finial with central hole for suspension. Base is diamond shaped and bearsa motif in excellent condition; the legend is clear with a stags head as central motif. Allocated in Inverness Museum. See attached photo.
TT 115/13: A fragment of a post-medieval silver ring. Described as having a heart shaped bezel with incised or pecked letter S and fluted shoulders. It was cut or broken in half and possibly of 18th century date. It was allocated to Inverness Museum and is listed under Acc. No. 2014.050. See attached photo.
TTNC 2012/038: A post-medieval copper alloy two part strap end. It had traces of plate and criss-cross decoration. It was disclaimed.
TTNC 2012/094: 9 post-medieval objects comprising an annular brooch, a piece of bronze, a rumbler bell, a copper alloy ring, a fragment of dagger quillion, a cup weight with part of hinge and a medalllion of St Benedict. These were disclaimed.
<1> <2> <3> <4>
Full grid references for some of the assemblages are held by Treasure Trove. GW 03/07/20
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 82/99. TT 103/98. TT 103/03, TT 114/13, TT 115/13.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 82/99. TT 103/98. TT 103/03.
- <3> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 1999.095, 2014.050.
- <4> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7449 5050 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- STYLUS (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- BEZEL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOUNT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANNULAR BROOCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- HINGE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- FITTING (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- BELL PULL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANNULAR BROOCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- CROTAL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MEDALLION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- DAGGER (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/181937 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.