MHG36783 - Watten Drill Hall
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- DRILL HALL (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1871 AD? to 1906 AD (at some time))
- VILLAGE HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
Martin Briscoe submitted a photograph of this former drill hall via the Highland HER Flickr group in May 2011. <1>
The building is first depicted on the 25'' 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map c.1906, labelled "Drill Hall". <2>
The drill hall at Watten is shown on the 2nd edition 1:2500 map of the area (surveyed 1905). It is not included in Osborne's list of drill halls and it is not known which unit or units used it in the First World War. It is now in use as the village hall. Its original form seems to have been a simple rectangular hall with entrance porch. It seems to have been extended.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <3> <4> <5>
Watten was the drill station for G Coy. 5Bn. Seaforths.
Information from M Osbourne to RCAHMS 14 January 2014.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 183569.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 57, table 29.
- <5> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 807.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2421 5434 (30m by 34m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/183569 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.