MHG37092 - Site of Bower United Free Church, Brabsterdorran
Site of former United Free Church erected c.1906, now demolished.
Type and Period (1)
- NONCONFORMIST CHURCH (Built, 20th Century - 1906 AD? to 1906 AD?)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
This church was apparently erected in 1909, prior to the building of the new church in 1910. It was originally constructed of wood, but has obviously been retrimmed at some time in tin. This information came from the Free Church of Scotlands Record Office in Edinburgh. <1>
There is a slight query over the date of construction, as it is depicted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map c.1906. This would fit more closely with the chronology of the split in the Free Church. The Free Church was awarded ownership of all existing buildings by an Act of Parliament in 1904, leaving the new United Free Church having to build from new.
It is not entirely clear whether the hall shown on the current Ordnance Survey mapping incorporates the old United Free Church. When overlaid on the modern map, the 2nd edition depicts the church building about 20 metres to the west. This needs checking further. <2>
The site was visited by a member of HCAU staff in August 2009. The tin hall depicted on current mapping is not the original church. No trace of the church remains. <3><4>
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Chris Irwin, 29/07/2009.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 30/07/2009.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 21/08/2009.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 21/08/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 23046 60762 (14m by 16m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/187425 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.