MHG3752 - Findspot of Inscribed stone, Cullaird Farm
A Pictish stone, found during ploughing in 1955. Now in Inverness Museum.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH64SW 13 6341 4041.
Found in the course of ploughing in 1955, this fragment (0.35m by 0.05m) bears what may have been a mirror and comb, a horse-shoe and rectangle and Z-rod. Now in Inverness Museum (1955.30). R B C Stevenson 1959; RCAHMS 1979; 1985. <1>-<3>
Mr Thompson of Cullaird farm pointed out the approximate find spot of this stone, at NH 6341 4041. It is situated on slightly rising ground in a cultivated field.
Visited by OS 27 March 1962.
Class I symbol stone showing a mirror-and-comb,and parts of a divided rectangle and Z-rod and a horseshoe.
A.Mack 1997 p.109 <4>
Included in a catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery, original version 1994, updated 2010. A complete mirror & comb symbol sits below the left hand portion of a Z-rod, with spearhead terminal and attached spiral motifs. The Z-rod appears to cut a straight sided rectangle symbol. Beneath the mirror is the upper sweep of an arch decorated with curved infills.<5><6>
Scaniport, Pictish stone (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8491.
<1> Stevenson, R B K, 1959, 'Some unfinished flint artifacts', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 90 1956-7, p.221, 39-40; fig. 2, pl. 5.2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1534.
<2> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 23, No. 175 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
<3> Ritchie, J N G, 1985, Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985, 12 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2712.
<4> Mack, A, 1997, Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, 109 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2456.
<5> Hanley, R G, 1994, A catalogue of the Class I Pictish symbol stones in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery, 10 (Collection/Catalogue). SHG2304.
<6> Inverness Museum, 2010, A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery (Text/Publication/Booklet). SHG25069.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Scaniport, Pictish stone. Digital Image. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Stevenson, R B K. 1959. 'Some unfinished flint artifacts', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 90 1956-7, p.221. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 221. 39-40; fig. 2, pl. 5.2.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 23, No. 175.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 12.
- <4> Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 109.
- <5> Collection/Catalogue: Hanley, R G. 1994. A catalogue of the Class I Pictish symbol stones in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. 10.
- <6> Text/Publication/Booklet: Inverness Museum. 2010. A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Paper (Copy).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6341 4040 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13546 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.