MHG3754 - Dunain House
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWER HOUSE (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) KEEP (Undated)
- None recorded
The estate of Dunain was anciently provided with its own keep or tower. NSA (A Rose, A Clark and R Macpherson) 1845.
Enquiries at Dunain House, now an hospital annexe, failed to obtain any information regarding this tower or keep. There is a small tower of red sandstone incorporated in a group of farm buildings some 200 m.of Dunain House, but tower and farm building appear to have been built as one unit and are probably of 19th century construction in mock Scottish Baronial style.
Visited by OS (W D J) 29 March 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 5.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 26, No. 201.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6260 4230 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13544 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.