MHG3766 - Flints and Bronze Object - near Inverness Royal Academy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A riveted piece of bronze and several flints, including a microlith and retouched piece as well as a number of flakes and chunks, were found during fieldwalking in the ploughed field to the south of Inverness Royal Academy by A Ross and G Harden in 1985 and 1986 <1> <2>
The finds are now in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. <3>
Some of the flint finds were photographed by members of the ARCH Hilton Local Heritage Course in 2013. <4>
A document in Inverness Museum archive files lists the lithics from this location: two retouched pieces (Acc. Nos. 1985.153.001-002), a scalene microlith (1985.153.003), core trimmings (1985.153.004-006), tertiary, secondary and primary flakes (1985.153.007-012), a chunk (1985.153.013), two possible tertiary flakes (1985.111.002-003) and a nodule (1985.111.005). <5>
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: Inverness Royal Academy (NH 665 420). Colour Print. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Ross and Harden, A and G. 1985. 'Inverness Royal Academy (Inverness & Bona p) Flint flakes, bronze', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1985, p.24. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 24. 24.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Ross and Harden, A and G. 1986. 'Inverness Royal Academy (Inverness & Bona p) fieldwalking collection', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1986, p.17. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 17. 17.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. INVMG 985.111 and 985.153.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2013-14. Ardersier and Hilton Local Heritage Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital.
- <5> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 1985.153.001-013, 1985.111.002-005.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6651 4183 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC?)
- FLAKE (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 8000 BC to 4001 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13531 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.