MHG37679 - Radio station, Hill of Harland
WW II radio/radar station.
Type and Period (2)
- RADAR STATION (Converted, Second World War to Unknown - 1945 AD (post))
- RADIO STATION (Built, Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD (between))
- None recorded
A radio station is situated on the summit of the Hill of Harland. The station is visible on post-war RAF vertical aerial photographs (106G/Scot/UK, 4013-14, flown 9 May 1946) which shows seven masts, a receiving/ transmitting block and electricity generating block (ND 3254 5388).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2001
The WW II VHF station for Wick Airfield (ND35SE 103.00) which was redeveloped as a ROTOR radar station during the postwar period. Although completed, no equipment was installed and it never became operational.
Information from Defence of Britain Project form, (A Gutteridge), 2000 <1>
Pictures were submitted to the HER by Martin Briscoe in September 2010. <2>
It was subject to a basic photographic survey in 2008 in support of a planning application. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Canmore ID 202513 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
<2> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
<3> Unknown, 2008, Photographs of Radio/radar station, Hill of Harland (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25887.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 202513.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Unknown. 2008. Photographs of Radio/radar station, Hill of Harland. Colour. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3262 5374 (435m by 361m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/202513 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.