MHG3780 - Inshes House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
NH64SE 32 6949 4372.
(NH 69494372 Inshes House (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Inshes House: A plain, three storey mansion formerly the residence of the proprietor of the estate of Inshes from which it gets its name. The date 1767 over the door denotes when the house was rebuilt, at the expense of the Government, after being destroyed by the Montrose party. The ancient building possessed a keep or tower, and the Doveot is still in a good state of preservation.
Name Book 1868; NSA (A Rose, A Clark, R Macpherson) 1845
The date '1767' is to be seen on the south gable end under a coat of arms. The additions to the rear of the house are modern. The dovecot is roofed and in a good state of repair, and is probably of 18th c. date. Visited by OS (W D J) 24 April 1962.
Architect: W L Carruthers & Alexander (C. 1900)
REFERENCE: NMRS Library
'Scottish Country Life' June 1930 p 172 - sale advertisement (Knight Frank & Rutley) with photograph.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 32, 196 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3364.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 15, Sutherland, 112 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Sutherland, 112.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 196.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6950 4371 (79m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:8049 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8049 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13515 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.