MHG3781 - Castlehill House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWER HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Castlehill is said to have been fortified in ancient times, by a keep or tower of which no trace remains.
Name Book 1868; NSA (A Rose, A Clark, R Macpherson) 1845.
No further information was obtained regarding Castlehill. Only the main part of the house is of any great age; the two wings to the rear are of modern construction. No date stone was seen in the older part of the house but it would appear to be possibly of early 19th Century or late 18th Cent.
Visited by OS (W D J) 24 April 1962.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 31, 49 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3363.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 15 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 26, No. 197 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 15.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 26, No. 197.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 31, 49.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6967 4425 (23m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:8035 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8035 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13514 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.