MHG3784 - Holm House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MOTTE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
NH64SE 29 6535 4200.
There is a moot hill near Holm farm, near Inverness.
NH 6535 4200. Situated on the edge of an escarpment, 150m SE of Holm Mains, are the mutilated remains of a motte. A deep ditch 8.0m wide
can be traced round the east and south sides of it. On the north, mound and ditch have been erased by cultivation. The west side of the mound has been considerably destroyed by erosion, but there seems to have been a short terrace before the drop to the burn on the NW side.
The motte is 5.0m high above the ditch on the south and east - reducing to 1.2m on the west above the terrace. There is a rampart on the counterscarp of the ditch. The mutilated top of the motte measures 14.0.m N-S and there is a slight earth-covered wall, or rampart, 0.2m high on edge of the east side of the summit.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (J L D) 27 March 1962.
- --- SHG1131 Text/Publication/Article: Yeoman, P A. 1988. 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33. Scot Archaeol Rev. 125-33. 131, 132, no. 77.
- --- SHG12324 Image/Photograph(s): Holm House Motte.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG1804 Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1885. 'Visit to the Holm Burn', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.83-9. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 83-9. 84-5.
- --- SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 25, No. 190.
- --- SHG3175 Text/Publication/Article: Meldrum, E. 1975. Medieval castles and towerhouses. SHG2345. 141-52. 144.
- --- SHG4733 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4734 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4735 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4736 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4737 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4738 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4739 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4740 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6534 4199 (106m by 57m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3078 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13511 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.