MHG3785 - Druidtemple 1
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Two urns from a stone cist opened in the Leys, near Inverness had been given to the Museum of the Northern Institution (later the Inverness Scientific Society and Field Club) in or by 1827, by Col. J. Baillie of Leys. The short cist contained a layer of sand, burnt bones and ashes.
J Barron 1915; G Anderson 1831.
These urns were not located in the Inverness Museum.
Visited by OS (J L D) 23 March 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, G. 1831. 'On some of the stone circles and cairns in the neighbourhood of Inverness', Archaeol Scot Vol. 3 1831, p.211-22. Archaeol Scot. 211-22. 215, fn..
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Barron, J. 1915. 'The Northern Institution', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 7 1906-12, p.200-37. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 200-37. 225, 226.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 13, No. 68.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6849 4200 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- VESSEL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13510 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.