MHG3789 - Gold Torc - Leys
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH64SE 24 685 420.
(NH 685 420) In 1824, a Late Bronze Age gold torc (J M Coles 1962) was ploughed up in a field next to the chambered cairn at Leys (NH64SE 23) (J Fraser 1884). It was purchased at the time by a jeweller (J Barron 1903), but has since been lost, although a leaden model was lent to the Arch. Inst. Exhibition in Edinburgh, 1856, by the Inverness Museum.
J Barron 1903; J Fraser 1884; J M Coles 1962; Archaeol Inst Great Britain and Ireland 1859.
Neither the original, or facsimile, torc is in Inverness Museum.
Visited by OS (J L D) 23 March 1962.
This torc was catalogued as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. The torc is lost but an image survives (Inst. Arch. 1859). It was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Callander, J G. 1923. 'Scottish Bronze Age hoards', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 57 1922-3, p.123-66. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 123-66. 163.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 92.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 147.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Archaeol Inst Great Britain Ireland. 1859. Catalogue of Antiquities, Works of Art and Historical Scottish Relics. 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Archaeol Inst Great Britain Ireland. 1859. Catalogue of Antiquities, Works of Art and Historical Scottish Relics.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Barron, J. 1903. The Northern Highlands in the nineteeth century: newspaper index and annals. 233.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Taylor, J. J. 1980. Bronze Age Goldwork of the British Isles. 92.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wilson, D. 1863. Prehistoric annals of Scotland. 2nd ed.. Vol 1, pp 163.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wilson, D. 1851. The archaeology and prehistoric annals of Scotland. 15, 114.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 355.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat no. 82.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6850 4200 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- TORC (Middle Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 1500 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13506 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.