MHG37956 - Ruined Building - ARISAIG, AN SIDEAN
The footings of a rectangular building identified in a programme of works associated with the A830 road upgrade.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NM68SE 38 6599 8693
NM 6639 8656 (Arisaig) to NM 6790 9194 (Kinsadel) Following field survey and test pitting (DES 2000, 47), evaluation work was undertaken on seven sites.
NM 6599 8693 Site 26 (stone building). Excavation revealed the heavily robbed remains of a stone building. No internal structural details were identified but a small collection of roofing slate was recovered. This is believed to be an isolated early 19th-century building (demolished pre-1870).
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Halliday 2001
This structure was located on the south-west side of a small knoll some 500m to the north of Arisaig village. It comprised the footings of a rectangular building aligned north-east to south-west that measured 3m by 7.7m internally, with a rectangular structure immediately to the north-east, possibly a lean-to structure built up against the east gable of the building. The building was not recorded on any maps so it was selected for evaluation to determine its nature and date by Headland Archaeology in advance of the A830 road upgrade. Two trenches 1m by 4m were excavated within the site. One trench was located across the interior of the building, with the other trench cutting across the north-east wall and into the smaller structure. The walls were dry-stone random rubble construction with a brown sand and gravel floor in the large building and a roughly paved floor in the structure to the east. A couple of roof slate fragments were retrieved from the building but, unlike Site 15, the structure produced no glass or ceramic fragments. The site was believed to be an isolated early 19th-century building. It is not depicted on the first edition OS map and is therefore likely to have been demolished prior to 1870. <1> <2>
- <1> Text/Report: Carter, S., Dalland, M., Long, D.. 2005. Early Land-Use and Landscape Development in Arisaig. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report Vol. 15. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report: Dalland M. 2002. A830 Arisaig to Kinsadel Road Improvement Data Structure Report. Headland Archaeology Ltd. . . XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6599 8693 (13m by 12m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair15.pdf (Click to view published report)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/213894 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.