MHG37964 - Building/croft, Balnacraig
Building/croft at Balnacraig
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CROFT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH 291 532 A rapid walkover survey was undertaken within Strathconon Estate of six areas of woodland. A number of new sites were recorded as follows:
NH 2919 5329 Balnacraig Croft. S Farrell 2001
Remains of croft at NH 2919 5329, rectangular on plan measuring 18m by 7m. Structures at NH 2914 5328, traces of circular structures c.2m diameter and rectangular structures c.4m by 5m. Possibly a precursor of the croft at NH 2919 5329 or part of a township. <1>
NMRS MS/1131/20 nos. 6.2, figs. 6.2
Buildings, possible boundary wall and pit (1052 – 1058) - centred on NH 2925 5329 (Nmrs No - NH25SE 0024) Situated on the valley floor on both banks of the Allt Baille na Creige at the foot of a steep gorge with a waterfall, these sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. The surrounding ground is grassy and appears fertile. A new track has recently been constructed and crosses the area. The site comprises 4 buildings, a pit and a wall which seems to contain the site to the base of the hill.
1056 Building - NH 29207 53263 A raised rectangular platform of stones at the foot of a steep slope on the south side of the burn - the obvious demolished remains of the roofed building marked on the FES. The platform is on a NNE-SSW alignment, measures 21m x 7.5m and is generally 0.5m in height. The well defined outer face of the east wall is harled but otherwise, apart from metal scraps (stove and rainwater pipe) no other features were able to be detected. A grassy platform continues to the SW for 15m. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <4>
- <1> SHG21465 Text/Report: Farrell S. Strathconon Estate 20 Year Management Plan. . . Site 6.2.
- <2> SHG24905 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.41 Site 1056.
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2919 5328 (21m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/214084 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.