MHG3803 - Carved Stone Ball - Tomnahurich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
A carved stone ball, covered with numerous projecting knobs (type 8), found early in the 19th century on Tom-na-hurich, near Inverness, is in RMS (AS 160).
PSAS 1908-9; D N Marshall 1977.
The stone ball was acquired by the NMS in 1908. It is described in the catalogue as made of hornblende and measuring 3" x 23/4". Listed under AS 160. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 70.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1909. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 43 1908-9, p.8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9, 268-71, 291-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9,. 8.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. . AS 160.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6549 4409 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-382-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13492 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.