MHG3855 - Dunbar's Hospital, 86 Church Street, Inverness

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOSPITAL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH64NE0218
JHooper, 4/2/2002
----
NH64NE 14 6653 4550.

(NH 66534550) Dunbar's Hospital in Church Street was bequeathed to the town as a hospital in 1668. It was used as a Grammar School till the opening of the Royal Academy in 1792. It was built with stones from Cromwells' Fort.
T Wallace 1917.

An armorial panel on the building contains Provost Dunbar's coat of arms and the date '1676' The date inscribed above two of the upper windows is 1668.
C Fraser-Mackintosh 1913.

Dunbar's Hospital is in good condition and in use as dwellings and a hall. The armorial panel above the door is a replica of the original which is now in the Museum, Inverness.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 April 1960.

Built 1668.
Architect: W L Carruthers c.1900 - alterations

NRMS LIBRARY
"Scottish Country Life" June 1928 photograph

Inv/Culloden & Ardersier Local Plan, April 1994: P106/5.7.6. Listed Buildings. POLICY - 2.5.13 will apply.
J Aitken : 23/05/01.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6652 4549 (25m by 24m)
Map sheet NH64NE
Civil Parish INVERNESS AND BONA
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.