MHG3879 - Midtown - Township
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SW 76 centred on 6264 3312.
This township comprises eight buildings and a kiln, and extends from the modern farm at NH 6275 3324 to NH 6264 3304 about 200m to the SW. All the buildings lie within the fields of Midtown farm and have suffered varying degrees of robbing and disturbance.
One building still stands to gable height and measures 11m from NE to SW by 5.2m transversely over walls of roughly-dressed masonry, 0.65m thick and standing 1.75m in height. It has a central door between two windows on the SE, a central window in the rear and chimneys in each gable (USN93 124). The other buildings range from 12.9m to 17.8m in length by between 4.5m and 5.9m over faced-rubble walls 0.8m to 0.9m thick and up to 0.9m high, where best preserved. Two of the buildings are very much reduced and stand barely 0.3m in height over walls spread to grass-covered stony banks between 1.5m and 1.8m in thickness (USN93 127 and 129). Two of the longer buildings are sub-divided into three compartments and a third into two (USN93 122, 125 and 123 respectively). A kiln is set into the W-facing slope at NH 6260 3307 and measures 3.2m in diameter within faced-rubble walls 0.8m in thickness and 0.6m in depth with a flue opening on the E (USN93 126). Three of the buildings are depicted as roofed and two unroofed (USN93 122, 128-9 and 125-6 respectively) on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map, as well as the adjacent farmsteading (Inverness-shire, 1875, sheet xix). Only one of these is still roofed on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness -shire, 1905, sheet xix) but an additional roofed building (USN93 124) is depicted a short distance to the W of the farmsteading.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 8 October 1992.
Four roofed buildings, of which three are arranged around a courtyard, two partially roofed and two unroofed buildings, five enclosures and a length of wall are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xix). Two roofed, seven unroofed buildings, what may be another two conjoined unroofed buildings, three enclosures and a length of wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 June 1996
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6264 3312 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78814 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.