MHG38869 - Hut circle - Kingsburgh 6 (Kingsburgh 04)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle was recorded by M Wildgoose in 2003 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed forestry Woodland Grant Scheme. It was one of three recorded close to each other (see also MHG57219 & MHG57220). Lying on a wet boggy terrace between two low outcrops is a very obvious grassed-over ring-bank. The ring measures 10m in diameter over a bank 1.5-2m thick and stands to a maximum of 1m high. A entrance faces to the southeast. <1>
140651 854983 Kingsburgh 04 EB213: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. EB213, 214 (see MHG57219) and 215 (see MHG57220) are M Wildgoose Site 6 in Kingsburgh Archaeological Survey 2003. HC is behind Forestry fence and has not been grazed, hence very overgrown with heather and moss since MW survey in 2003. The HC lies on a gentle south facing slope in a predominately boggy heather covered landscape. The ring bank is covered with moss and heather. 2m S of the S wall of this HC is EB214. Average inner diameter of EB213 is 7m, outer diameter is 10.5m. The double skinned wall is 1.8m thick with max height 0.4m.Entrance orientation is SE, entrance width externally is 1m, internally is 1.3m, entrance passage length is 1.5m. EB213 may also be associated with EB210 (se MHG38870), 211 (see MHG57217) and 212 (MHG38867). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details]
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M. & Birch, S.. 2003. Kingsburgh Common Grazings Woodland Grant Scheme Proposal: Archaeological Survey, (Rapid Walkover). Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). 29/10/2003. Paper and Digital. Site 6.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. EB213.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. EB213.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4065 5499 (12m by 12m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.