MHG38870 - Hut circle - Kingsburgh Site 7a (Kingsburgh 01)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle was recorded by M Wildgoose in 2003 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed forestry Woodland Grant Scheme. Lying on a wet terrace, only 50m to the SW of Site 6, was a well-preserved ring-bank which measured c.10m overall diameter. A well-preserved entrance 1m wide faced to the southeast. The structure overlay the remains of a further ring-bank, which measured 12m in diameter. An entrance was again visible in the southeast quadrant. <1>
140632 854921 Kingsburgh 01 EB210: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. EB210 overlays EB211 (see MHG57217), see sketch. Both are ring banks covered with turf and with few stones visible. These two HC's are sited in a level landscape 20m from a forestry fence. EB210 is smaller than EB211 and is better preserved. EB210 has average inner diameter 5.8m, outer diameter 9.35m. Double skinned wall is 2m thick with max height 0.4m. The probable entrance is orientated to SE, entrance width is 2m, entrance passage length is 3.2m indicating extended terminals. EB210 and 211 may be associated with EB212 (see MHG38867 & MHG57218), 213, 214 and 215, between 50m and 100m distant. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details]
Note: NGR amended to position as seen on 2009 vertical APs [IS-L 01/02/2017].
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M. & Birch, S.. 2003. Kingsburgh Common Grazings Woodland Grant Scheme Proposal: Archaeological Survey, (Rapid Walkover). Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). 29/10/2003. Paper and Digital. Site 7.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. EB210.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. EB210.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4062 5493 (11m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.