MHG38874 - Hut circle or cairn - Kingsburgh 11 (Kingsburgh 13)
A hut circle or cairn at Kingsburgh, Skye.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A degraded hut circle or cairn at Kingsburgh, Skye.
A hut circle was recorded by M Wildgoose in 2003 during an additional walkover survey in advance of a proposed forestry Woodland Grant Scheme at Kingsburgh, Skye. Lying on a narrow terrace at the foot of a steep west-facing slope with a small burn to its south side, is a grassy mound which measures circa 13m in overall diameter. The burn has cut through the southern edge of the mound revealing a double-skinned revetment wall, circa 1.5m thick. There is no visible entrance. <1>
141095 855325 Kingsburgh 13 EB222: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. Reported as M Wildgoose Site 11 in Kingsburgh Archaeological Survey 2003. The circular stone structure has become much degraded since recording by M Wildgoose as site 11 in 2003, probably due to lack of grazing within forestry fence. The platform sits on a narrow terrace at the foot of a steep west facing slope. The only stones visible are those on outer face to S where a burn has cut through the S edge of the grassy bracken covered mound which covers the structure and exposed a double skinned revetment. Average inner diameter is 8.6m, outer diameter is 13.65m. Wall thickness is 2.2m, max height 1m. A possible entrance is to SW. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details]
Note: NGR adjusted to position as seen on 1999-2001 vertical APs [IS-L 08/02/2017].
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M. & Birch, S.. 2003. Kingsburgh Common Grazings Woodland Grant Scheme Proposal: Archaeological Survey, (Rapid Walkover). Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). 29/10/2003. Paper and Digital. Site 11.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. EB222.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. EB222.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4109 5533 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.