MHG3888 - Milton of Brin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH62NE 14 663 276.
Eight buildings, including two kilns and a mill, are situated on the valley floor and sides on the W side of the River Brin. Four of the buildings (USN93 9, 11, 16 and 17) are single-compartment structures measuring between 10.6m and 15.5m in length and up to 3.5m in width internally. A building at the centre of the group (USN93 10) measures 31.8m by 2.8m transversely and has a bedneuk on the W side.
Both of the kilns (USN93 8 and 12) feature barns which have been reduced, but have bowls of 1.8m and 2.3m in diameter respectively. The E kiln (USN93 8) may have been inserted into the E end of a ruinous building, the W end of which may have been a mill, with a lade running into the SW corner from the S. USN93 8, 9 and 10 are depicted as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, 1874, sheet xliii), with USN93 11 and 17 depicted as unroofed. By the time of the 2nd edition map (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet xxxi) only part of USN93 10 is roofed with some of the other buidings depicted as unroofed.
(USN93 7-12, 16, 17)
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 6 October 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6629 2760 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78790 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.