MHG3896 - Blarachar
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NH62NW 50 6346 2630.
The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xlii) shows three roofed buildings, and an enclosure at Blarachar, which is situated on the haughland of the River Nairn at the mouth of Gleann Beag. Only the southernmost of these is depicted on the 2nd edition
of the same map (1903), and it is still roofed, though no longer inhabited, while the other two are reduced to grassed-over foundations. The larger of these buildings (USN93 408) is situated immediately to the NNE of the roofed building, on a continuation of its alignment. It measures 22.8m in length and 4.7m in breadth over walls 0.8m thick and has three compartments and a bedneuk on the ESE side. On the WNW, it is attached to an enclosure. The other building (USN93 407), about 20m to the NE, measures 8.7m WNW-ESE by 3.2m transversely within walls 0.7m thick. It has an entrance on the NNE side.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 19 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6346 2630 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78773 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.