MHG3898 - Tom Breac Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NH62NW 47 6474 2888.
About 300m ENE of the summit of Tom Breac Mor, on the E bank of an unnamed burn, there is a group of four buildings and an enclosure. The only building whose complete plan survives is USN93 338, which measures 13.3m from NNE to SSW by 3.7m transversely within faced-rubble walls 0.8m thick. The entrance is on the ESE side and there is an
enclosure on the WNW. The other three buildings are all so badly robbed or disturbed that complete measurements cannot be given for them. It may be that they belong to an earlier phase of occupation: certainly, the S half of USN93 339 has been destroyed by a drain around the enclosure attached to USN93 338. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet xxxi) depicts one building at this location, probably USN93 338; it is not named and is depicted unroofed. (USN93 337-40)
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 18 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6473 2888 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78770 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.