MHG3900 - Garoline
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
NH62NW 45 6426 2918.
About 200m to the ESE of the township at Tullich (NH62NW 44), there is a group of six buildings and a kiln set into the S-facing hillside, with the remains of a field-system to the S and SW.
Like the township at Tullich, this settlement does not display a planned layout, rather the buildings have a random arrangement suggesting an informal development. Four of the buildings (USN93 341-2, and 344-5) measure between 10m and 12.7m in length and between 2.5m and 3.8m in breadth within walls up to 0.7m thick which survive to a height
of 1.4m. One (USN93 344) has a gable-end standing 2m high. The other two buildings are considerably smaller. USN93 343 measures 2.6m square within faced-rubble walls standing to a height of 1.4m, while USN93 346, which is set apart from the main group of buildings, about 100m to the ESE, measures 6.8m in length by 4.6m in breadth over a stony bank reduced to 0.2m in height.
The kiln (USN93 34) is positioned farther E again, at NH 6438 2913. It has a circular bowl 1.7m in diameter within a faced-rubble wall 1m in thickness and standing 0.7m high. The flue is on the ENE side and there is a barn attached on the NNW.
To the S and SW of these buildings are the remains of field banks and clearance heaps, probably associated with this settlement and the neighbouring one at Tullich (NH62NW 44). It is impossible to be certain how much land was associated with each township, but the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xxxi) depicts about 10ha of cleared ground around the two sites.
This settlement is named Garoline on the 1st edition map. Three roofed buildings, and one unroofed, are shown; the former can be identified with USN93 341-2 and 344, while the roofless building is probably USN93 345. The Name Book (ONB 1871) describes Garoline as 'a small crofters house, one storey, thatched and in bad repair'. By the time of the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (1905), all the buildings were unroofed. (USN93 34, 341-6)
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 18 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6423 2918 (99m by 73m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM11613 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78768 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.