MHG39005 - Township, Eadar A' Chalda
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HEAD DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Some 8 unnamed buildings shown.
Home's Survey of Assynt 1774-5. <1>
Six rectangular or subrectangular buildings remain, five surviving as footings on average 0.5m high, and the sixth, 12m by 5m survives to wall head for much of its length, this being 1.9m high along the flanks. This building is mortared and possibly post-dates the footings. Extensive lengths of field walls stretch to NE and E.
Visited by OS (JB) 12 August 1980.
A township comprising two unroofed buildings, one enclosure and a length of possible head-dyke, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet lxxi). Five unroofed buildings, one enclosure and a similar length of wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1967).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 21 September 1995
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009.
119A - A head-dyke with associated dykes and enclosing a meadow area. Consists of a curvilinear, truncated earth and stone dyke up to 0.6m high and 2m wide at the north edge of the site. At the north end of the dyke is a 3m diameter, 0.5m high grass covered stone clearance cairn.
119B - An uneven rubble building measuring 3m by 3m and up to 0.4m in height with 1m thick walls that are very badly slumped. It is situated in a corner of the head-dyke and enclosure of 119C. There is a possible entrance on the south elevation and an associated 2m diameter clearance cairn 2m to the south.
119C - An uneven rubble building measuring 9.5m by 3m and up to 0.5m in height, aligned E-W with 0.6m wide walls. It has an associated enclosure to the N/NE with the north wall of the building acting as the south wall of the enclosure. The enclosure walls are very spread and up to 1m wide in places; dimensions are 27m by 22m, aligned N-S.
119D - The most completely preserved building in the township. An uneven stone rubble building with patches of lime render, 11m by 4m and 3.5m to the gable top. An adjoining secondary compartment only survives as low ruins 6m by 3.5m and up to 0.4m in height, attached onto the E end of the building. Lime mortar with large inclusions is present throughout the structure. There is a window, a blocked window (with a large chamfer on the interior) and a door on the south elevation. The internal west gable has an obvious chimney flue which is showing through the wall due to areas of collapse. There is also a window on each gable end and a slanted arrow slot-type feature on the north elevation.
119E - Uneven stone rubble building remains 11.5m by 4m and up to 1m high, aligned N/S with 0.75m wide walls. The building sits within the head-dyke, which forms its N wall. An entrance is clear on the E elevation.
119F - Uneven stone rubble building remains 7.5m by 5m and up to 0.6m high, aligned WNW/ESE. The walls are 0.7m wide and an entrance is clear on the SW elevation.
All of these structures are built predominantly with limestone, sub-angular random rubble averaging 0.3m x 0.4m x 0.15m but using some larger stones up to 1m by 0.4m by 0.4m (especially on 119E). The stones tend to be roughly brought to course with pinning and chocking stones. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2434 2382 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/70436 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.