MHG3902 - Tullich

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FARMSTEAD (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH62NW 43 6345 2914.

This farmstead is located in a field of improved grassland at the E end of Loch a' Choire. It consists of three buildings ranged around a rectangular yard, with a fourth building (USN93 321) situated immediately to the SSW. The buildings range in length from 5.8m to 13.1m and in breadth from 2m to 3.7m, within faced rubble walls measuring 0.7m to 0.8m in thickness and standing up to 0.7m high. Two buildings (USN93 322 and 324) are each divided into two compartments, while another (USN93 323) has a drain running out through its SSW end, indicating a function as a byre.
The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, 1875, sheet xxx) shows all these buildings, but only two of them are roofed (USN93 321 and 322), and the site is annotated 'Sheepfold'. By the 2nd edition (1905) all buildings were roofless. This is one of three settlements at the E end of Loch Ruthven bearing the name 'Tullich' on the 1st edition map. One of the others is still occupied, while the third is described under NH62NW 44. The Name Book entry (ONB 1871) records that 'Tullich' is applied to two farmhouses, and also to 'a one storied cottar house ... thatched and in ordinary repair' which seems likely to be a reference to this site.
(USN93 321-4)
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 17 March 1993.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6344 2914 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH62NW
Civil Parish DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.