MHG3904 - Milton
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH62NW 35 6400 2631.
This township is situated on the NE end of a rocky knoll immediately SW of Milton farmsteading. It comprises at least nine buildings in varying states of dilapidation, the majority of which are rectangular on plan and aligned on a NE-SW axis. Although three were very much reduced (USN93 269-71), the better-preserved buildings range in length from 9m to 14m by between 2.8m and 4m in breadth within walls between 0.75m and 1.3m thick and up to 0.5m high, where best preserved, but more generally barely 0.3m high. Four buildings display the traces of a bedneuk along one side (USN93 265, 267, 269, and 272) and a side entrance is visible in one side of seven of them. One building, the longest (USN93 266), has two compartments and there is a midden scoop to the SE of another (USN93 269), whilst a third has two stone-lined pits adjacent to it, one on the N and one on the E (USN93 270). The township is not depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xliii).
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 16 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6400 2631 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78656 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.