MHG39051 - Cairns, Nr Ardvreck Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) FORGE? (Undated)
- None recorded
Series of cairns visible on area of flat land on other side of causeway to castle. <1>
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. Situated on flat land between HLP 147 and HLP 146 are five clearance cairns. They are sub-circular and about 3m in diameter and all are under 1m high. They are grass covered rubble and perhaps come from clearance of the collapse of the surrounding structures. <2>
Noted during survey of this area by Historic Assynt. 8 cairns were recorded, although 3 are very small. All could be clearance cairns, but some could contain material from the nearby furnace or forges and some of the larger cairns could be the remains of forges. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 149, p.137.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Historic Assynt. 08/2010. Reports from Historic Assynt on a number of sites in the Assynt area. Digital. Cairns B1-8.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2408 2356 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.