MHG39081 - House - Inbhir Fhiodan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A single roofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xxxi) and annotated Inbhir Fhiodan.
The site was visited and recorded as part of the NTS archaeology survey for Glencoe and Dalness by Wordsworth Archaeological Services in 1996. The structure is aligned NW-SE and measures ca. 8m by 3m over lime mortared walls ca. 0.6m thick and surviving up to 1m high. A black and white photo of this house, when it was roofed and when its surroundings were open fields is in the NMRS. The photo was identified as being Inverigan by the Elliot's of Achnambeithach. The ruined house of Inverigan is now surrounded by conifers. There are also seven special trees which have been planted within individual wooden palings as a tribute to the seven men of Glencoe immediately around the structure. These will eventually threaten the very survival of the structure. <1>
The building is still shown on current Landmark mapping. There is a tradition that the building was associated with the MacDonalds of Glen Coe.
The site was subject to total station survey by the NTS in 2015. The work was requested by the NTS Regional Archaeologist West to create an electronic survey of the structure and to double check its exact location. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1092 5796 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.