MHG3909 - Clovendell township, River Farigaig

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH62NW 29 6036 2503

The stone footings of eight buildings are situated on a low ridge to the SW of the River Farigaig. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xlii) shows all the buildings except USN93 427 under the name of Clovendell; all of them are unroofed except USN93 396. They range in length from 23.5m to 12m and in width from 3m to 3.9m within faced-rubble footings measuring up to 1m in thickness and 0.4m in height. USN93 399 has a byre-drain, a terrace along the E side of the building where the entrance is located and also an enclosure appended to the E side. All are aligned just off N to S and, where visible, the entrances are in the side.
(USN93 394-9, 426-7)
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 18 March 1993

One roofed and seven unroofed buildings, one of which is a long building, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xlii). Five unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 June 1996

On the south west side of the road there are two enclosures and the remains of a corn drying kiln at NH 6034 2504. In documents this township is known as "Clovendell". <1>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6036 2503 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH62NW
Civil Parish DORES
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.