MHG3912 - Ruthven
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NH62NW0030A
NH62NW 31.02 6017 2705.
This group of about nine buildings, which is disposed around a large rectilinear earthen-banked enclosure to the WNW of Ruthven farmhouse, occupies the edge of a terrace. The enclosure is later than at least one of the buildings (USN93 350), and is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xxx), on which four roofed buildings are shown, but the sites of only two (USN93 295-6) have survived subsequent activity. Many of the buildings have been reduced to little more than platforms, which appear to be roughly rectangular on plan. They range in size from 9.8m to 23m in length by between 5.3m
and 6.9m in breadth over walls reduced to stony banks between 1.3m and 2.1m in thickness and up to 0.3m in height. One of the buildings (USN93 298) displays rounded ends, whilst two others display traces of what may be bedneuks (USN93 296, 351).
(USN93 295-9, 350-2)
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 19 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6016 2705 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78612 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.