MHG3912 - Settlement - Ruthven
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1601 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- SETTLEMENT (17th Century to 18th Century - 1601 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- None recorded
This group of about nine buildings, which is disposed around a large rectilinear earthen-banked enclosure to the WNW of Ruthven farmhouse, occupies the edge of a terrace. The enclosure is later than at least one of the buildings (USN93 350), and is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xxx), on which four roofed buildings are shown, but the sites of only two (USN93 295-6) have survived subsequent activity. Many of the buildings have been reduced to little more than platforms, which appear to be roughly rectangular on plan. They range in size from 9.8m to 23m in length by between 5.3m and 6.9m in breadth over walls reduced to stony banks between 1.3m and 2.1m in thickness and up to 0.3m in height. One of the buildings (USN93 298) displays rounded ends, whilst two others display traces of what may be bedneuks (USN93 296, 351).
(USN93 295-9, 350-2)
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 19 March 1993. <1> <2>
Renumbered from NH62NW0030A
- <1> SHG2676 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1994. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report. .
- <2> SHG23270 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: RCAHMS. 1994. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness - An Archaeological Survey, Summary Report 1994. RCAHMS. Paper (Original). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6018 2702 (168m by 194m) (2 map features)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78612 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.