MHG3917 - Gortonagour
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH62NW 36 6261 2633
This township comprises four well-preserved buildings on the NW bank of the River Nairn. They are all rectangular on plan; three are aligned roughly NE to SW, and the fourth at right-angles to them. They range in size from 17m to 24.3m in length by about 5m in breadth over faced-rubble walls between 0.75m and 1.15m thick and up to 0.7m high. Two of them are sub-divided into two compartments, of which one (USN93 290) has an extension 11m long added to its NE end.
Three of the buildings were depicted as roofed and one unroofed (USN93 288) on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xlii), of which the unroofed building has been partly demolished by the construction of a forestry track. The Name Book describes the settlement as 'the dwelling house of a small farm, one storey high, having offices attached; they are all thatched' (ONB 1871).
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 17 March 1993
One unroofed, one partially roofed and two roofed buildings are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xlii). Four unroofed buildings, one of which has three compartments, are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 June 1996
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6260 2633 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78759 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.