MHG3923 - Ballone
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SE 79 6731 3240.
About 200m S of Ballone farmhouse there is a group of four buildings set into a NW-facing slope above the head of a small burn. The buildings are all aligned along the slope, with one side set into it. They range from 5.9m to 10.4m in length, and from 2.4m to about 3.4m in breadth within faced-rubble walls, generally measuring 0.8m in thickness and standing up to 1m high. Two of the buildings (USN93 182 and 184) have bedneuks, in both cases on the SE side, and two have an internal partition (USN93 184-5). A cruck slot is visible in the SE wall of one building (USN93 184). To the SW and S of this group are two enclosures which may be associated with the buildings. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, Sheet xxxi) depicts two roofed buildings here, probably USN93 183 and 184, and also the two enclosures, but by the time of the 2nd edition (1905) both the buildings were roofless.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 3 November 1992. <1>
This site, probably associated with MHG3105, was visited during a walkover survey in June 2009. At least two buildings, indicated by turf-grown footings and the outline of a possible enclosure, were identified centred on NH 67463 32458. A watching brief is advised on works in the vicinity so that any associated features may be identified, recorded and preserved. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Depop. Farm, Steading etc. (footings). Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1994. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report. .
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 08/2009. Daviot to Whitebridge: Overhead Line Refurbishment - Desk Based Assessment and Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. F29, Photos 3220-21, 3232-3.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6751 3256 (172m by 309m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78446 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.