MHG3928 - Craig Lagmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SE 67 675 337.
There are two clusters of buildings disposed along a terrace to the W of the River Nairn and below Craig Polchor and Craig Lagmore. With the exception of a building overlain by two of the township buildings (USN93 52-3), all are depicted as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet xxxi). The 1st edition shows the S cluster, comprising three buildings (USN93 52-4), under the name of Polchor, while to the N, four roofed buildings are shown under the
name Lagmore, but only three of these (USN93 50, 51, 55) can now be identified.
The buildings in the N cluster are all constructed of mortared rubble. One of these (USN93 50) has a byre at one end and a bedneuk at the other on top of which a turf gable is preserved. USN93 55 is one of two ranges of buildings shown on the 1st edition map and has a horse gang measuring 7.8m in diameter on its S side. At the time of the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet xxxi) the S group of buildings (Polchor) remained unroofed, while the buildings
at Lagmore remained roofed. There are the remains of field banks to the E, most of which are depicted on the 1st edition map, defining areas of improved ground.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 3 December 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6749 3370 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78422 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.