MHG39311 - Cultivation Remains, Lurga
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CULTIVATION REMAINS (Undated)
At Lurga there are several ruined buildings of drystone construction, one at least of which appears to have been used for the processing of rock from the lead mine 0.5km to the W (NM75NW 4). This building is oblong on plan, measuring 5.5m by 3.6m over walls 0.8m in thickness; a water conduit, supplied from the neighbouring burn, ran diagonally through the building immediately below floor level.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972
Two unroofed, three roofed buildings and one enclosure are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xli). Four unroofed buildings and one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 May 1998
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 163.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 251, No. 387.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7349 5530 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6787 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22679 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.