MHG39319 - Lithic Scatter, Allt Lochan Na Ceardaich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LITHIC SCATTER (Mesolithic - 8000 BC to 4001 BC)
- None recorded
Over 100 flint and bloodstone flakes were recovered from recently ploughed ground. Possible shieling site.
Finds are in RMS(NMAS). <2>
Listed during a preliminary survey of archaeological sites was carried out in Glen Hurich Forest. <3>
FIND TYPE = BLOODSTONE
The assemblage recovered by Kirby was re-examined in light of work at sites around Loch Doilean. The assemblage was recovered in connection with forestry ploughing, and diagnostic Mesolithic elements include one flint microlith, one flint microlith or meche de foret, as well as the character of the assemblage as a whole (eighty flint chips, flakes and chunks and seven of bloodstone). <4>
Flint flakes from Allt Lochan na Ceardaich are listed in the NMS catalogue under Acc. Nos. ACA 324- ACA 359 and ACA 383-ACA 385. <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Kirby, J. 1983. 'Allt Lochan na Cairdaich (Ardnamurchan p) flint, bloodstone flakes', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1983, p.13. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 13. 13.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1981. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 110 1978-80, p.535-544. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 535-544. 535, 540.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Kirby, J. 1992. 'Glen Hurich Forest, Lochaber Forest District (Ardnamurchan parish): survey of Forestry Commission land', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1992, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Ellis, C.. 2016. ARO20: Activities in the Woods: Platforms and a lithic scatter, Loch Doilean, Sunart, Lochaber. Argyll Archaeology. Digital. pp. 35-36, Table 9.
- <5> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. ACA 324-359.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7549 6860 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 8000 BC to 4001 BC)
- WORKED STONE (Mesolithic - 8000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- FLAKE (Mesolithic - 8000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.archaeologyreportsonline.com/reports/2016/ARO20.html (Link to published report online)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22690 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.