MHG39437 - Cemetery, Brae-na-h-Eaglaise
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Chapel (NR) (Site of), Grave Yard (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1908)
This graveyard appears from its nature to be very old. It is said that a church or Catholic chapel stood close beside it. However, the present inhabitants of neighbourhood know nothing whatever about it and all that is left to indicate the spot are a few moss-covered mounds with one or two large stones cropping above the ground. The inhabitants are not aware of it being dedicated to any saint.
Name Book 1871.
Only slight surface indications remain of chapel and graveyard which stood at junction of Long Burn with the Langwell Water.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
At the spot indicated by the siting symbol on OS 6" map, is a small hollow with traces of stone round its edge. Nothing else was found during field perambulation.
Visited by OS 'W D J) 16 June 1960.
(ND 0706 2304) Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1964)
The chapel and its presumed surrounding graveyard were Scheduled in 1974.
The site of the chapel is as described by the previous field investigator. No evidence for the graveyard was found.
Visited by OS (J B) 2 September 1982.
The Sheduled area and statutory name were amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <1>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 using 2009 vertical APs. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 85-6, No. 310.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 15, 121.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM3429 Brae-na-h-eaglaise, chapel and burial ground. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0708 2306 (46m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3429 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7535 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.