MHG3945 - Woodside
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HOMESTEAD (Undated)
- PIT CIRCLE (Undated)
NH 815 528. Air photography has revealed the crop-marks of what may be a palisaded homestead 150m W of Wester Glackton farmhouse. They show a narrow ditch enclosing an area about 30m in diameter with a gap on the E; within the enclosure there is what may be a pit-circle measuring about 15m in diameter. Situated about 35m NE of the enclosure there ia a pit-circle about 9m in diameter.
RCAHMS 1979; Visible on RCAHMS air photographs IN 2655, IN 3079-80: flown 1976 and 1977.
Tolan notes two pit-circles at NH 815 528 and NH 816 528 respectively.
M Tolan 1988.
Air photographs of this enclosure, taken by J Harden in 1989, are held in Inverness Museum (AP nos. 8902.34-36; see also Archive.)
Information from J Harden 1989.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 18, No. 108 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
Tolan, M, 1988, Pit circles in Scotland: some possible interpretations, 70, Nos. 13-14 (Text/Manuscript). SHG2886.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 108.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Tolan, M. 1988. Pit circles in Scotland: some possible interpretations. 70, Nos. 13-14.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8159 5281 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5166 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5166 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15208 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.