MHG3950 - Milton of Tordarroch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SE 84 6664 3270.
The remains of four buildings and a kiln survive to the SW and E of a group of modern farm buildings at Milton of Tordarroch, above the N bank of the Allt a' Chlachain. To the WNW of these buildings a stretch of mill-lade survives running parallel to the burn. The buildings have been much disturbed and altered, and they have all had field clearance and other rubble dumped within them, but their outlines remain clear. Two are substantial structures, measuring 15.7m in length by 5.6m in breadth (USN93 192) and 12m in length by 5.7m in breadth (USN93 193) over faced-rubble walls standing up to 1.2m high. The other two buildings, (USN93 194 and 196) are much smaller;, the latter measures only 4.5m in length by 3.5m transversely over faced rubble walls 0.9m thick and 0.7m high.
The kiln (USN93 195) is set into sloping ground to the SE of the present farmhouse. Its stone-faced, circular bowl measures 3m in diameter and 0.8m in depth, and there is a barn attached to its S side. Several buildings, and the mill pool and dam, are shown at this location on an anonymous map of Tordarroch dating from c.1804 (SRO: RHP 1047). The recorded remains cannot be matched with the structures depicted on that map, but all five structures can be identified on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet xxxi). Three are depicted as roofed (USN93 192-4) but the others are roofless. The Name Book describes this farmstead as consisting of one thatched farmhouse in 'ordinary repair', with numerous out-houses in 'indifferent repair' (ONB 1871). By 1905, when the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1905, sheet xxxi) was published, the present
farmhouse and new outbuildings had been constructed, and of the structures on the 1st edition, only USN93 192 and 193 remained roofed. (USN93 192-196)
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 4 November 1992.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, vol.20, 71 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3351.
RCAHMS, 1994, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report (Text/Report). SHG2676.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6664 3270 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78542 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.