MHG39544 - Cemetery, Cnoc Fionn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Traditionally there was another chapel and burial ground (see ND12SW 36) in which grave slabs could be seen (Cordiner 1788) at Berriedale (ND 1122), said to have been the home of St Finnbarr, and located in a green spot (? Cnoc Fionn: ND 106 237) on the banks of the Berriedale Water, not very far from the high road between Halmsdale and Wick.
D Beaton 1909; C Cordiner 1795; A B Scott 1915
Scott (1915) claims that St Finbar had a church at Berriedale, but the evidence does not seen conclusive
W D Simpson 1935; A B Scott 1915.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 65-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cordiner, C. 1788. Remarkable Ruins, and Romantic Prospects, of North Britain. Vol. 1, (unpaged).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 65.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, A B. 1915. 'Chapters in the history of the church of the Picts (ii)- S. Finbarr of Caithness and Ulster', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 27 1908-11, p.20-30. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 20-30. 22.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1100 2200 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8074 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.