MHG39598 - Cist, Green Tullochs
Cist associated with a late neolithic-bronze age burial cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
A cairn, 15 by 3.5m by 3m high, surviving as a grass-covered sub-circular mound with stones visible in the W side where it is much robbed.
R J Mercer 1981.
This cairn of earth and stone is generally as described by the previous authorities. The suggested wall face noted above is no longer visible. Visited by OS (J B) 10 September 1981.
(ND 0122 6958) Cairn (NR)
OS 6"map, (1969)
This turf-covered cairn survives to a height of 4.0m. In the SW slopes a recent excavation pit, 1.0m deep, reveals the stones of what appears to be a dry-stone wall face. The regular profile of the cairn has been altered on the NW by the eroision of the cliff edge. Nothing was seen of the cist mentioned by the RCAHMS.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 4 November 1964.
A: This cairn, some 80 ft in diameter and 10 to 11ft high, is partially grass-covered. A short cist, which contained only whelk shells, is exposed on the summit at the W side.
(A: ND 0122 6958; B: ND 0131 6964) Green Tullochs (NR) (Broughs) (NR) (For 'B' - a broch - see ND06NW 18.)
OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 139, No. 325.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 104, No. 378.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0121 6958 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:554 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM554 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7845 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.