MHG39621 - Cill Mhairi
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS (Undated)
NM56NW 1 5312 6998.
Cill Mhairi (NR) (Remains) OS 6"map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1902)
See assoc. docs. File (photos).
J Aitken : 14/03/02.
Most of the gravestones are uninscribed; Donaldson found the head of a solid wheel cross there,
Name Book 1872; M E M Donaldson 1923.
The graveyard, known locally as Cill Mhairi, is still used, and the broken wheel cross survives.
Surveyed at 1:10,560. Visited by OS (N K B) 8 June 1970.
The surrounding dry-stone wall, which is of 19th-century date, encloses a sub-oval area measuring 37m from E to W by 27m from N to S, and may follow the line of an earlier boundary. The earliest identifiable tombstones are of 19th-century date.
In the burial-ground there is a fragment of a free-standing ringed cross which is at present used as a headstone. The ring measures 0.58m in diameter externally, and the undecorated shaft, which is broken off 0.50m below the head, is 0.09m in thickness.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972.
Generated from NM56NW0001
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Donaldson, M E M. 1923. Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands. 2nd, rev.. 432-3.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 134, No. 270; fig. 164.
- --- Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Rixson, D. 1982. Tantalising clues in an Arisaig burial ground. The Oban Times.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 61, 30.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 5312 6999 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM7845 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22342 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.