MHG39641 - Farm Steadings, opposite Shieldaig Farm
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHEEP FOLD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Farm steadings on opposite side of the road to Shieldaig Farm. Marked, but unnamed on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. 3 sides around a court, with possible housing in mid range. Drystone walled dykes to form pens/enclosures on opposite side of buildings. Roofed, partially in use although state of interior of building not good. <1><2>
The sheep pens were noted during walkover survey. Attached to the south face of the steading are probably contemporary sheep enclosures of double skin, drystone construction. The sheep dip to the east is probably later. <3>
This site was visited as part of the RCAHMS Scottish Farm Buildings Survey on 21 August 2000. The building is a U-shaped steading open to the NE. The rear range consists of a byre and a sheepshed. Both wings of the range are currently in use as stables but the one to the W may originally have been a barn.
Information from RCAHMS (ACD) 23 January 2008; NMRS MS 2560/286 <4>
It was subject to a basic photographic survey in 2008 in support of a planning application. <5>
<1> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1871-76, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire (Image/Map). SHG23422.
<3> Dagg, C and Wood, J, 02/2008, Walk-over survey, Badachro - Shieldaig: Water Main Renewal, Site 12 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24956.
<4> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 279553 (Dataset). SHG24123.
<5> Unknown, 2008, Photographs of Farmsteadings, Shieldaig (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25900.
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C and Wood, J. 02/2008. Walk-over survey, Badachro - Shieldaig: Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Site 12.
- <4> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 279553.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Unknown. 2008. Photographs of Farmsteadings, Shieldaig. Colour. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8074 7230 (37m by 55m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/279553 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.