MHG39661 - Breachlich Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
NH75SE 7 7961 5285
Nothing can be seen, within a burial-ground, of the former parish
church of Bracholie, which is first mentioned in 1281; it was
dedicated to St Ewan. The parish of Bracholie was united with Petty about 1500 but the church was still in use in 1688, and the remains could be seen in 1792.
OSA 1792; NSA 1845; OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed. (1876), sheet i; W Jolly 1882; H Scott et al 1915-61; RCAHMS 1979, visited March 1978.
No trace of this church remains in Breachlich churchyard, which is
still occasionally used for burials.
Visited by OS (RD) 13 August 1964.
- --- SHG11321 Image/Photograph(s): Cemetery and chapel site, Breachlich.. Colour Slide. .
- --- SHG1317 Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 369.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 375.
- --- SHG2606 Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 3, 21.
- --- SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 23, No. 172.
- --- SHG2773 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 6. 478.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7961 5284 (88m by 56m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14423 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.