MHG39662 - Cemetery, St. Merchard Church

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02.

The graveyard at NH 278127, which is dedicated to St. Merchard, is still used. There is no trace or any local knowledge of a church. The oldest inscriptions on the gravestones are mid 19th century.
Visited by OS (N K B) 1 June 1964

In Glenmoriston are St. Erchard's seat, well, church, and churchyard. NSA 1846 (J D Smith 1935); A B Scott 1918; Wm MacKay 1914

Grave Yard (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 2787 1267 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH21SE
Civil Parish URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.