MHG39662 - Cemetery, St. Merchard Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02.
The graveyard at NH 278127, which is dedicated to St. Merchard, is still used. There is no trace or any local knowledge of a church. The oldest inscriptions on the gravestones are mid 19th century.
Visited by OS (N K B) 1 June 1964
In Glenmoriston are St. Erchard's seat, well, church, and churchyard. NSA 1846 (J D Smith 1935); A B Scott 1918; Wm MacKay 1914
Grave Yard (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
- --- SHG2160 Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie. 1994. Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- SHG2460 Text/Publication/Volume: Mackay, W. 1914. Urquhart and Glenmoriston: olden times in a Highland parish. 2nd ed.. 324.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, 46.
- --- SHG2771 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, A B. 1918. The Pictish nation: its people and its church. 112.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2787 1267 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12157 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.