MHG39780 - Cemetery, St Peter's, Olgrinbeg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
St Peter's Chapel (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
On left bank of Olgrimbeg Burn are remains of St Peter's Chapel. The walls stand to a height of about 2ft and are 3ft in width. The interior dimensions are 24ft by 13ft. There is no sign of a chancel nor are there any details to indicate the period of erection.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
The remains of chapel are as described above. Its overall dimensions are 10.7 by 5.8m. Nothing remains of its graveyard.
Visited by OS (E G C) 15 April 1962.
St Peter's Chapel (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1963)
No change. Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (JM) 10 11 1982
Chapel, St Peter's. Dimensions: 10.7 x 5.7m. Rectangular structure with no surviving internal features. Orientation NW-SE.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 19, 49 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 43, No. 154 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Myatt, L J, 1975, 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61, 55, 57-8 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1654.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 57-8.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 19, 49.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 43, No. 154.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1112 5362 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5296 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5296 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8355 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.